Chelsea have not been afraid to splash the cash in the January transfer window as Todd Boehly has heavily backed manager Graham Potter in the market.
Noni Madueke was officially unveiled on Friday night and the winger joins David Fofana, Benoit Badiashile, Andrey Santos, Mykhailo Mudryk, and Joao Felix in arriving at Stamford Bridge this month.
However, that may not be the end of the club’s business in the transfer market as they could look to strengthen their options in the middle of the park.
Jorginho is out of contract at the end of the season and Chelsea could wave bye-bye to the Italian international, whether that is this month or in the summer upon the expiry of his deal, by signing a replacement for him in the coming weeks.
Boehly could now replace the former Napoli maestro by reigniting his interest in snapping up Enzo Fernandez. Fabrizio Romano revealed, earlier this month, that the Blues agreed personal terms with the central midfielder before talks broke down with Benfica over a transfer fee, with the gem’s release clause sitting at €120 (£105m).
Speaking to GIVEMESPORT, journalist Dean Jones said that he would not rule out the club going back in with another swoop for the Argentine star. The reporter said:
“I’ve spoken to a couple of people around Chelsea who say, while it is unlikely at the moment, they don’t have a new plan to go and fix that midfield problem they’ve got.
“So if the alternative fallback options to Enzo Fernandez don’t come off, they might go back in for him again.”
Chelsea must now reignite their interest in the Argentina international as his form for Benfica this season indicates that he could be an excellent replacement for Jorginho.