So on Sunday is yet another matchday for Chelsea and this time, we take on the current Champions at Stamford Bridge.
Both teams might not be direct rivals but they certainly have great history playing against each other. Last season for instance, we played four times in all competitions including a thrilling game at Anfield when Liverpool finally lifted their First Premier League title.
I have to admit that in terms of old and recent history, it doesn’t favour us. We hardly defeat Liverpool at Stamford Bridge or Anfield where they haven’t lost a game in the Premier League for more than two years now.
I think if history is to repeat itself on Sunday, then it’s going to be a terrible result for Chelsea.
Last season we were defeated by them home and away in the Premier League; 2-1 and 5-3 respectively, denied yet another UEFA Super Cup by them but we managed to eliminate them in the Carabao Cup wining just one game in total last season out of four.
- Klopp vs Lampard’s Rivalry? I might just be exaggerating things but we know all rivalries actually started like this. For those that don’t understand, Lampard and Klopp got into verbal fight in Chelsea vs Liverpool last match when Kovacic was allegedly penalized and Klopp failed to control his staff and players in the stands leading to Lampard calling them names and told all to fu** off. Lampard and Klopp however have cleared the air once again during their latest press conference that it was just an heated incident claiming there’s absolutely nothing of such grudge between them but I guess we confirm that tomorrow. Read more on what Klopp and Lampard had to say about their alledged rivalry here
- Stamford Bridge Debut for Wener and Kai? Timo Werner and Kai Havertz are the only newbies Lampard comfirmed to be ready for the match on Sunday. Neither of them have played in Stamford Bridge before and on Sunday could be their first. The thing about debuts is that every player wants to make a good first impression so they can carry on from there. So will either of them get a debut goal or assist on Sunday? Well, we will just have to wait and see.
- Current capabilities of both teams: As at last season, this won’t even be a debate. Liverpool were one of the best in the world while Chelsea were trying to gather players from the academy. Now, it’s a different story. While Chelsea have added a considerable amount of talents to their squad, Liverpool haven’t. They might be the reigning Champions but how often have we seen reigning Champions replicate their previous form? On Sunday will be a test for both teams and everyone will see which one is more determined and capable of fighting for the League this season.
- Kepa: This is a really interesting one for we Chelsea fans. It’s no doubt that Kepa was poor last season but his performance in our 5-3 loss against Liverpool was aggrevatedly terrible. Will Lampard decide to drop him and use Caballero instead? or will he be picked and prove everyone wrong by putting a strong performance? We shall know on Sunday.
It is yet another week in which Lampard will suffer in selecting a squad as most of our top players and new signings are still not fit for the match. Players that will not be available on Sunday for Chelsea are:
- Pulisic: Lampard confirmed in his press conference that Pulisic will be unavailable. The American failed the fitness test and missed last trip to Brighton and it seems same as happened this week. He returned from an hamstring injury and perhaps Lampard is right for not trying to rush into into matches so quickly.
- Ben Chilwel: According to Lampard, Chilwel is still regaining fitness.
- Thiago Silva: Lampard feels it’s still too soon to let Thiago Silver join the squad as he has partaked in just one training session.
- Ziyech: The previous injury he suffered against Brighton in the friendly match is not yet over and he hasn’t even return to training yet.
- Gilmour: Still recovering.
Chelsea however have a boost for Liverpool as previously suspended player (Kovacic) for last week is now eligible to play.
What to expect?
Personally I expect nothing less but a thrilling game on Sunday filled with goals from both sides. I also back Wener to get his first Premier League Chelsea goal.
In reality I think Chelsea squad as a whole including the players and Lampard knows that tomorrow is a very important match for us if we want to be considered title contenders this season and I know Lampard must have told the players to go there and show that we are not walkovers anymore. I expect nothing less from our team.
With Ben Chilwel still out I think Lampard will prefer to play Azpilcueta in leftback. We have seen first hand how terrible Alonso is in stopping fast attackers when Lamptey ran riot on him last match.
Reece James on the other hand put out a Man of the Match performance and that would earn him a spot at the right back position.
Christensen and Zouma were solid against Brighton and I think Lampard would prefer not to disturb the combination.
Kovacic is back from suspension means Kante can return to DM with Kovacic assisting him in CM.
For the attack, it’s going to be a difficult selection as Lampard said in his press conference, most of the players can play multiple positions
“We’ve played one game. Kai has played in different roles, Timo has been a winger and a striker for club and country. That will be something flexible. We’ll try to find the balance of the team as a whole.”
Frank Lampard on Werner/Havertz positions
With the absence of Pulisic, Lampard might decide to play Wener in the wing because everyone saw against Brighton last match that without wingers, itvdidn’t really work out well even tho we won.
It’s a probability but if Lampard should decide to play Werner at LW, then there will be space for either Giroud or Tammy Abraham at Center Forward postion. The attack would then look more like this in the image below
However if Lampard sticks to using Werner at Center Forward or decides to drop one between Havertz and Mount to allow space for a more natural winger, there will be need to bring in Hudson Odoi who can help playmake and pull out from the wing. Odoi played well with Werner against Brighton in the friendly, giving him the assist for his goal so he is the obvious choice.
Integrating Odoi into the squad means our attack will be looking like this or similar.
See Full Predicted Lineup below
CHO MOUNT HAVERTZ
AZPI CHRISTENSEN ZOUMA JAMES
So guys what do you think about our upcoming match against Liverpool on Sunday?
What are your thoughts on the match?
Your expectations and predictions and what do you think about my lineup? 😁
As usual, leave your reply in the comment section below